Head of Retail – Digital, Data, Innovation
£80K – £90K + Bonus + Excellent Benefits
Our client is a global leader in the supply of professional services to the retail sector. These services identify, capture and share information driving efficiencies and innovations within major retailers (grocery, apparel, gm retailers etc). The role of Head of Retail will to work across sector with businesses large and small to solve the problems they can’t solve on their own helping them to realise the benefits of these standards within their organisations.
This is a high profile position within the retail sector globally and will be engaging at a senior level with some of the world’s greatest brands. The ideal candidate will have a solid background with a major retailer or technology provider engaging with these organisations. Experience within supply chain, standards, data, ecommerce, traceability etc would be ideal.
- Build our reputation – act as an ambassador advocating our purpose and how we solve industry challenges. Grow brand positioning, increasing its relevance within the retail sectors through relevant, targeted networking, collaboration with key top of mind issues.
- Champion the needs – understanding the requirements of senior industry representatives, government, regulators, macro conditions (global and local). To identifying opportunities for growth. Build effective relations with thought leaders and external providers for the benefit of the sector. Bring fresh thinking on future retail and innovation.
- Engage and collaborate – identify key influencers, bring industry stakeholders together, define business case (ROI) and execute industry strategies. Managing the programme portfolio of all programmes across the sector as agreed by the industry groups and boards. To sponsor the Advisory Board, ensuring that sessions are relevant, well-managed and have an outcome orientation.
- Secure commitment – Develop a cohesive value proposition for the market based on the ability of the standards and solutions to address industry challenges, drawing on global activities. Develop demand pull strategies including commercial propositions for c-suite engagements, regulation/policy approaches and clear plans with demand side to drive community engagement for industry solutions.
- Adoption – develop go to market strategies (with industry) and execution programmes to deliver key KPI’s and milestones.
- Develop with our members, the long term strategy, vision and operating plan for the retail sector
- Deliver value to key retail sector stakeholders by driving change industry programmes, adoption of standards and long term funding/commercial solutions
- Create and manage a high performing team to deliver the programmes for industry
- Lead a cross organisational team to ensure alignment with the (relevant) market strategy, taking accountability for the execution and delivery of the plan
- Responsible for delivering agreed programmes and KPIs from the overall Operating Plan
- Member of the leadership team responsible for execution, corporate change and people development
- Ensuring that management information is up to date, accurately reflect progress within the sector and provide the Executive Team with the understanding it needs to make strategic decisions
- Consumer facing experience understanding the needs of the end consumer
- Commercial and business development experience
- Digital bias with experience in how to embrace digital, technology & innovation to meet the needs of consumers e.g. online, offline, click and collect, digital etc.
- Multi-category discipline
- Solid experience spent either working for a major retailer (grocery/ apparel/gm retailer), brand or technology provider, or direct experience of selling to / engaging with these related organisations
- A good understanding of the retail value chain and good understanding of consumer challenges such as food safety, traceability, transparency, health and wellbeing
- Extensive knowledge of the retail sector, their partners and trading communities, supported by a strong network of contacts
- Fully conversant in the key trends affecting retail and their communities and able to articulate how the adoption of the standards would add value
- Experience in facilitating industry groups towards agreed solutions and outcomes
- Highly focused on the understanding of stakeholder needs and developing approaches to meet their requirements
- Proven track record of working collaboratively within cross-functional teams to deliver against strategic plans
- Has a bias for action and delivery against clearly agreed action plans